Friday, July 24, 2009

An opinion

As a long-time observer of Fijian affairs, who wrote about 400 Fiji-related articles on Wikipedia, I have long been mystified by the behaviour of the Mara children. What I’m about to say may not be the whole truth, but there is one that most of the media just don’t get:
In the 2000 coup, Adi Koila was kidnapped by Speight’s thugs and held hostage for 56 days. From what I have heard, she was brutally treated. According to the late Sir Vijay Singh, that was what prompted her father to resign the presidency. I have reason to believe that Qarase’s leniency towards Speight – AND his inclusion of some of Speight’s supporters, including his brother, in the government – enraged the Mara family.
While that doesn’t excuse their behaviour, it does change the context of it, in my opinion.
Having said that, I don’t think they’d be doing it if their father were alive.

No comments: